Here’s the most standard dubstep algorithm, a kind of tutorial or walkthrough. (A noob tip perhaps.) I know that such dry decryptions can be disenchanting, so stop reading if you don’t want any spoilers.
- Intro (rhythm, stabs, melody…), 16 bars
- Breakdown (melody/riff, chords…), 8 bars
- Build up (tension, white noise, soundbite…), 8 bars
- Drop 1 (bass and mayhem), 16 bars
- Drop 2 (variations of Drop 1), 16 bars
- Bridge (variations of Breakdown and Build up), 16 bars
- Drop 3 (variations and/or inclusion of Drop 1 and 2), 32-48 bars
- Outro, (melody/riff, chords…) 16 bars
As always, breaking away from this anatomy seems legit. And even if the structure is kinda unimaginative, it’s really the content, the raw material, which separates the wheat from the chaff.